Pattern Review: Simplicity 3799

Today I will be reviewing Simplicity 3799, a sportswear pattern in Simplicity's "Easy to Sew" line. It contains a dress/tunic, a jacket, and pants/shorts.

Details for the pattern on the Simplicity Website.


I made the tunic. The pattern sizing has two options: XXS-XS-S-M or M-L-XL-XXL. My bust measurement is 37" and I made a size small. I am happy with the fit overall, however I am 19 weeks pregnant. I think if I were to make this once I'm back to my normal size, I would make an XS, and possibly remove some excess fabric towards the bottom of the garment, as it is rather tent-like. 

A sash tied around makes it less tent-like,
but it actually looks okay without the sash, too. 

I used a polyester, matte-finish, drape-y fabric, which I got on sale at Hancock's. It is pink, off-white, and charcoal grey. I plan to make a charcoal grey jacket to match the shirt later. 

This pattern was a snap to cut out, and went together fairly quickly. I made the whole shirt in a few hours.  The directions were clear, and I more or less followed them exactly. I thought the method for finishing the armholes was nice, and fairly simple to do. The only alteration I made was to pleat the upper edge of the front rather than gathering. 

The only tricky part of making this shirt is pressing up a curved edge. Stitching along the line you want to fold up makes this much easier, and the directions prompt you to do this. 

If I were to make this pattern again, I would follow this tutorial from Phat Chick Designs for removing "neck gape", as the circular neckline does gap a little bit. I would guess this mostly is a problem for this pattern if you are rather full busted compared to the rest of your size. 

Makes a great maternity shirt, at least for now.
Made out of stretchy fabric I think it would fit all the way through pregnancy.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts