Saturday, July 13, 2013

Butterick Fitting Pattern to Peplum Tank

I recently completed the process of fitting a basic bodice block using Butterick 5627. I definitely recommend doing this or drafting one from scratch if you are really ambitious. My motivation was having a pattern base to make a fitted peplum tank. Here are the shirts I took my inspiration from:


My fabric was a stripe in white, navy and turquoise, with a little extra pattern (not just a plain stripe). I knew I wanted at least the bodice part vertical, and in the end I chose to make the whole thing with the striped oriented vertically, and match the stripes in the center front. I drafted the upper bodice using my basic block as a base, and did somewhere between a 1/2 and 1/4 circle for the peplum (I knew I couldn't pull off a full circle from trying on RTW peplums). I have quite a high waist so RTW shirts and dresses that are meant to hit at the natural waist never fit me.

I tried two new techniques for this shirt. I installed my first invisible zipper, which wasn't too bad. I also fully lined the upper bodice, finishing the armholes and neckline without any hand sewing. There is an excellent tutorial here. It's one of those things that doesn't make a whole lotta sense until you just try it, but it's actually pretty easy, and it kinda seems like magic.

Anyways, here's the result, which I am quite proud of. I tried to take my time with this one and get the fit and finishing right.


Saturday, July 6, 2013

Sewing again, Photography

I've been taking advantage of summer to get some sewing projects done. I did a lot of mending that had been piling up, but that's not very exciting. Here's the good stuff: a (long) while back I pinned a few inspiration pieces for a dolman sleeve shirt with contrasting yoke:


Back while I was still pregnant, I found some lovely satin with a sort of watercolor muted print in grey, ivory and mauve, and some ivory lace. They were both on clearance at JoAnn's. I drafted a pattern to make a maternity shirt. I used the basic shoulder/sleeve shape from Simplicity 2560 for the yoke, and I made the rest of the shirt basically a generous rectangle. Well, I just got around to actually making the shirt, and I now have a 9 month old. So, I cut the pattern down to a slightly less generous rectangle to fit my current measurements. Here is the result:





I like how it turned out. It's a great feeling when a project comes out almost exactly how it looked in your head, and this shirt was like that. This it the first project I've used my serger on, and Oh, how I love having a serger! 

My next project for myself is going to be a peplum top. I'm not entirely sure whether I can pull it off; I've tried them on before and they never fit right, but I am hoping if I make it I can fit it correctly and it will look okay. I'm going to try this technique for lining and finishing the neck and arm holes. 

I've also been sewing for Henry (aforementioned 9 month old). So far I've made one outfit:


After making this I decided to stick with making shorts and pants, and embellishing plain white T-shirts or onesies to match, because tiny T-shirts with set in sleeves are hard to make. I think the next outfit I make for Henry will be Mizzou themed.

I've also been rediscovering my zoom lenses this week. I've been using my nifty fifty so much for indoor pictures, it was completely novel heading outside with the zoom.