Back while I was still pregnant, I found some lovely satin with a sort of watercolor muted print in grey, ivory and mauve, and some ivory lace. They were both on clearance at JoAnn's. I drafted a pattern to make a maternity shirt. I used the basic shoulder/sleeve shape from Simplicity 2560 for the yoke, and I made the rest of the shirt basically a generous rectangle. Well, I just got around to actually making the shirt, and I now have a 9 month old. So, I cut the pattern down to a slightly less generous rectangle to fit my current measurements. Here is the result:
I like how it turned out. It's a great feeling when a project comes out almost exactly how it looked in your head, and this shirt was like that. This it the first project I've used my serger on, and Oh, how I love having a serger!
My next project for myself is going to be a peplum top. I'm not entirely sure whether I can pull it off; I've tried them on before and they never fit right, but I am hoping if I make it I can fit it correctly and it will look okay. I'm going to try this technique for lining and finishing the neck and arm holes.
I've also been sewing for Henry (aforementioned 9 month old). So far I've made one outfit:
After making this I decided to stick with making shorts and pants, and embellishing plain white T-shirts or onesies to match, because tiny T-shirts with set in sleeves are hard to make. I think the next outfit I make for Henry will be Mizzou themed.
I've also been rediscovering my zoom lenses this week. I've been using my nifty fifty so much for indoor pictures, it was completely novel heading outside with the zoom.