Butterick Fitting Pattern to Peplum Tank

I recently completed the process of fitting a basic bodice block using Butterick 5627. I definitely recommend doing this or drafting one from scratch if you are really ambitious. My motivation was having a pattern base to make a fitted peplum tank. Here are the shirts I took my inspiration from:


My fabric was a stripe in white, navy and turquoise, with a little extra pattern (not just a plain stripe). I knew I wanted at least the bodice part vertical, and in the end I chose to make the whole thing with the striped oriented vertically, and match the stripes in the center front. I drafted the upper bodice using my basic block as a base, and did somewhere between a 1/2 and 1/4 circle for the peplum (I knew I couldn't pull off a full circle from trying on RTW peplums). I have quite a high waist so RTW shirts and dresses that are meant to hit at the natural waist never fit me.

I tried two new techniques for this shirt. I installed my first invisible zipper, which wasn't too bad. I also fully lined the upper bodice, finishing the armholes and neckline without any hand sewing. There is an excellent tutorial here. It's one of those things that doesn't make a whole lotta sense until you just try it, but it's actually pretty easy, and it kinda seems like magic.

Anyways, here's the result, which I am quite proud of. I tried to take my time with this one and get the fit and finishing right.


Comments

Popular Posts