Did it again: Simplicity 2248

So, I liked Simplicity 2248 so much I made another dress with it! This one is to wear to my brother's wedding.

Since I've already reviewed this pattern here, I'll just hit the highlights that are different this time:
I used a very light weight polyester satin that is red w/ tiny which polkadots. 

I used the original pattern for the yolk (rather than extending to cap sleeves like I did on the previous incarnation). 
I did modify the directions for the yolk fairly extensively: 

- The back yolk is fully lined, rather than having  facing at the neck. I assembled the yolk completely, lining and all, before attaching to the dress. The zipper starts just below the seam joining the yolk to the dress. The neck is plenty wide for the dress to slip on over my head easily. 
Interior of the seam joining the back yolk to the dress.
Desaturated because the red version makes it hard to see the details. 
- The front bodice facing was extended to include the lower armhole. After the yolk was attached, I hand sewed the edge of the facing down to keep everything smooth. 
Armhole facing turned under and hand sewed to the inside of the back yolk.
This gives the armhole a nice smooth look.
- I did not include the "designer's addition" sash on this version of the dress. I thought about making a simple white sash to tie around it, but I don't really think I need it. I plan to wear a white shrug over the dress to add a little style.

- I left out the pockets because I was feeling lazy.

I was really excited when I realized my vintage pumps would match this dress!

- I added twill tape to the seams making up the neckline to give it some stability.


Overall, I love this pattern. I'm tempted to make a shirt out of it, too, but my list of things I want to make is getting rather long!

Comments

  1. Just bought this pattern. Thanks so much for your clear reviews of it.

    Looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts