A little success, a little failure

So friends, I had to reset my count-up widget. I shopped today. After cleaning out my closet in January, I wanted to see how long I could go without shopping for anything I didn't need. Here's how that little experiment went:

In the last 98 days since I shopped needlessly:

- I found out I was pregnant and I'm now 16 weeks. Thus, I did allow myself to by a small number of maternity items once my regular jeans got a little snug. Overall I bought 2 new items that were on clearance, and 4 second hand items. I also was given some items by my sister in law, and made 1 maternity shirt.

- I discovered that finding an attractive and comfortable maternity bridesmaid dress is hard, so I made one.

- My brother got engaged and set his wedding date for June 16, so I made a dress for that too. I needed a white sweater to go over it, and seeing as how I don't know how to knit, I did allow myself to buy one. It was actually kinda fun and freeing heading to the mall with something specific in mind. In fact, it became a little game to see how many white sweaters I could find. I found 15 at just JC Penney! I only bought 1 though, of course, because that's all I needed.

Does anyone really need 15 white sweaters to choose from?
Today, though, I went shopping to help my mom find an outfit for my brother's wedding, and I ended up buying a comfy cardigan that was on clearance. I do think I will wear it a lot, so I am glad I bought it. But since I didn't specifically notice a need and set out to purchase something to fill it, I'm reseting the clock on my experiment. But I'm back on the bandwagon! I want to continue to exercise discretion in my purchasing, both for financial reasons and space reasons. I want to own my stuff, rather than having my stuff own me, and part of that is making sure I don't have too much of it to take care of.

Comments

Popular Posts